The Alhamra Arts Council is a promotional body that provides space and opportunity to artists of every genre. All six theatres/auditoriums are in use for programs ranging from music, concerts, seminars, lectures, drama, workshops, award ceremonies and school functions to name a few. The art gallery that is the largest in the province is one of the busiest spaces and has art shows all the year round.
The Alhamra lends its support to private cultural groups along with international troupes and other official and non-official programs.
Functional objectives of Alhamra Arts Council are as follows:
- Develop and maintain facilities for all forms of arts including performing arts through own productions or soliciting market support; provide professional technical/audio-visual aids
- Establish, encourage, sponsor, arrange, organize and manage art galleries and provide such technical/financial support may be necessary
- Establish an academy/school of performing arts
- Institute and award fellowships, scholarships, diplomas, certificates, medals, grants, prizes loan, aid monetary or other assistance to individuals or groups engaged in the study , research, furtherance, promotion and creation of art, design, and all other kinds of performing arts such as music, drama, dance, singing, mimes, puppeteering
- Conduct cultural fairs, festivals and other related activities in art & culture, organize cultural ensembles, exhibitions of plastic/metal/wood art and crafts within Pakistan or abroad
- Printing, publish, issues, circulate books, periodicals, brochure etc and other similar efforts incidental and conducive to the attainment of aims and objectives of Lahore Arts Council
- Hold programmes and other functions in the field of art, literature and culture of its own or in collaboration with NGOs or as entrusted to it by the Government
- Impart specific skills through training programmes in the field of fine arts and crafts, computer graphics, performing arts, fashion designing, reading, speaking and writing, photography etc.
- Document the performers in the fields of dramatics, musicals, puppetry, mimes, street entertain
- Establish museums of musical instruments, sculptures, Alhamra archives, museum of folk-heritage, a permanent art gallery with paintings owned by it and a library including library including audio-visual library